You are here
If you have a genuine interest in medicine and in helping people, physician assistant studies may be a good career path. You will participate in a rigorous academic program without the cost of a lengthy medical school program and residency. As a physician assistant, you will be trained and licensed to practice medicine under the supervision of a licensed physician, contributing to patient care in nearly all medical and surgical specialties. Physician assistants perform physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel patients on preventive health care, and in most states write prescriptions.
Pre-professional Program at Felician University
In the pre-professional Physician Assistant (PA) Program, you will spend about three years at Felician University and earn your Bachelor of Science in Biology from Felician University upon successful completion of your first year of courses at Rutgers University School of Health-Related Professions (Rutgers-SHRP).
- Complete approximately 96 pre-professional credits (47 credits in the General Education Curricular Commons and 49 credits in required natural sciences and related courses) within the first three years at Felician.
- Earn your Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies from Rutgers-SHRP upon successful completion of the remainder of the required coursework.
Applying to Rutgers-SHRP
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 and a minimum grade of “C” in all required math and science courses.
- Formally apply to the Rutgers-SHRP Physician Assistant program for the professional component of the program by June 1st of the calendar year prior to matriculation. Final notices of acceptances will be made by September 1st of the year prior to enrollment.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Participate in an interview with the Admissions Committee.
- In addition, applicants are strongly encouraged, but not required, to arrange for a patient contact experience in a hospital or clinic setting.