You are here
Mary E. Norton, Ed.D
Global Academic Initiatives
Felician University NGO Representative to the United Nations
Obal Hall Room 300 - Lodi Campus
International Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Award - “Direct Access to the Muslim World
- Fulbright Alumni Initiative Award - Implement E-learning in Jordan
- US Information Service - Doha, Qatar –“Health Care Ethics Seminar”
- Finland Fulbright Inter-Country Grant - “Health Care Ethics Seminar”
- Fulbright Senior Scholar Award - University of Jordan to develop the Master of Science in Nursing Program – Amman, Jordan
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society in Nursing - Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dame of the Order of Malta
- Columbia University - Teachers College – New York, NY - Nursing Alumni Hall of Fame
- Felician University - President’s Medallion
- New Jersey State Nurses Association - CARE Award - “Excellence in Education”
Internationally Funded Research and Proposals
- Scientific Committee - University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan “Risk factors for breast cancer in Jordanian women.” Collaborative project with Jordanian colleagues - Published
- Pallottine Fathers Award for the - BSN Upper Division - International Educational Program in Merida, Yucatan
United Nations Selected Activities
- Secured Non-Governmental Organization status for Felician University (one of twenty seven in the world)
- Felician University Representative-United Nations Department of Public Information- NGO (DPI/NGO)
- First Vice President - Executive Committee - DPI/NGO- Representing 1300 NGOs worldwide
- United Nations presentation: “Human Security and Dignity in the Middle East.” Video produced while on Fulbright Award
- Chairperson - 63rd Annual United Nations- Department of Public Information-Non Governmental Organizations Conference – Melbourne, Australia “Advance Global Health: Achieve the MDGs”
Courses Taught at Felician University (Selected)
HUM 451 United Nations Seminar
HUM 453 United Nations Fellows Program
NU 410 Community Health Nursing
NU 425 Role Development - Leadership/Management
NU 450 Nursing Research
NU 550 Ethical Legal Dimensions of Nursing (Graduate/Undergraduate)
NU 599 Scholarly Project
Petro-Nustas, W, Norton, M., Vilhauer. R. and Dombach Connelly, A. (2012) Health beliefs associated
with breast cancer screening among Arab Women in the northeastern United States. International
Journal of Health Promotion and Education 50 (6) 273-277. (Peer Reviewed).
Norton, M., (2002) World peace, nursing education and the Fulbright program. Nursing Education
Perspectives. 23 (2), 58-59. (Peer Reviewed).
Petro-Nustas, W., Norton, M.E., Al-Masarweh, I. (2002) Risk factors for breast cancer in Jordanian
women. Journal of Nursing Scholarship,34 (1),19,25. (Research funded by the University of
Jordan-Scientific Committee). Tool translated into Arabic – (Peer Review).
Andrews, M. and Boyle, J. (1999) Nursing concepts in nursing care. (3rd ed.) Philadelphia: Lippincott.
Contributed Chapter 13-Transcultural Ethics: Concepts and Challenges. (Peer Review).
Norton, M., Walani, S., Hashim, F.(1995). Individuals” responses to sharing of information about a
serious illness: A survey in Karachi. In Janet F. Wang (Ed.) Culture and Health Care. Pp.267- 272.
Morgantown: Department of Health Systems West Virginia U. (Peer Review).
Post Doctoral Study - Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- The Center for the Study of Society and Medicine - Certificate Program in Bioethics and the Medical Humanities
Columbia University - Teachers College - New York, New York
- Doctor of Education /Minor International Education Development
- Master of Education – Clinical Specialist - Mental Health/Psychiatry
- Master of Arts – Administration/Supervision
Jersey City University - Jersey City, N.J.
- Bachelor of Arts - Nursing -Health Education – School Nursing
St. Mary’s Hospital-School of Nursing, Orange, NJ
- Diploma in Nursing
- Assistant Professor – Catholic University of America, Washington, D C and the Imperial Medical Center, Tehran, Iran
- Project Coordinator and Educational Consultant – Project HOPE Health Sciences Educational Center, USA/Ministry of Health-Peoples Republic of China and Beijing Medical University
- Associate Professor and Director – BSN Program – Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
- Associate Professor – University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- Adjunct Affiliate Associate Professor – George Mason University, USA collaborative project Bahrain Military Defense Forces
- International Dissertation Advisor – University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- Peer Reviewer – Fulbright Program – Washington, DC
- Consultant to the Canadian International Development Agency from the Aga Khan University of Health Sciences/faculty development grant/funded
- Consultant World Health Organization /Pan American Health Organization - Caribbean Area – based Caracas Venezuela
- Field Researcher – National Institute of Health-collaborative project Harvard Medical School/NYU Medical School