You are here

Master of Arts in Education: School Nursing and Health Education

Apply buttonRequest Info buttonVisit button


The Master of Arts in Education: School Nursing and/or Health Education, offered on the Rutherford campus, is a graduate program that prepares health care professionals to become leaders in health care and/or in health education in the K-12 educational setting. 

Program Length

The master’s degree program is a 37-credit (14 courses) and can be completed in two or four semesters. Students may choose one or both of the following options:

  • MA: School Nursing and/or Health Education

Admission Criteria 

  • Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a 3.0 grade point average (GPA)
  • A completed application
  • Submission of official academic transcripts 
  • Two professional and or academic references
  • Submission of current registered nurse licensure, without disciplinary action
  • Submission of current health care licensure/certification, without disciplinary action
  • Completion of four (4) prerequisite courses:
    • Psychology
    • Health Assessment 
    • Community/Family
    • Leadership/Management/ Business     
    • Research/Statistics or approved electives


The faculty foster a collaborative interdisciplinary learning environment that meets the needs of the adult learner. Students are mentored by certified school nurses and/or certified K-12 Teachers of Health Education in school districts throughout the State of New Jersey. Practicum hours and school placements are coordinated with the academic calendar of the school district and geographic location of the student.

Scholarly Project 

Candidates for the Master of Arts in Education: School Nursing and/or Health Education are required to complete an evidence-based research project in a nursing or a health specialty area. 

New Jersey Endorsement

Graduates may be eligible for New Jersey Department of Education endorsements: School Nurse and/or K-12 Teacher Health Education. The New Jersey Department of Education application for endorsement(s) for one or both certificates will be processed by the School of Education.