Felician Claims 10 Arthur Ashe Sports Scholars
Ten Felician College student-athletes have been selected as 2012 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholars by the periodical "Diverse Issues in Higher Education."
The award winners come from the sports of men’s and women’s soccer, women’s volleyball and women’s basketball, and were announced in the May 24 issue of the magazine.
Diverse Issues established the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholars Program, named for the late tennis star, in 1992 to honor outstanding undergraduate student of color. Each winner must be a non-freshman who competes in an intercollegiate sport, maintains a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.20, and is active on his/her campus or in the community.
The following students were selected:
- Daniel Camargo, (Jr.) men’s soccer, Business Administration 3.26 GPA
- Allie Couzo (Jr.) women’s soccer, Pre-Physical Therapy 3.95 GPA
- Jen Jimenez (Jr.) women’s soccer, Accounting 3.63 GPA
- Stephanie Jimenez (Sr.) women’s soccer, Nursing 3.29 GPA
- Gisell Peguero (So.) women’s basketball, Pre-Physical Therapy 3.29 GPA
- Anni Polscher (FR. RS) women’s volleyball, undeclared 3.43 GPA
- Lau San Filippo (So.) men’s soccer, Marketing 3.66 GPA
- Ann Scherer (So.) women’s volleyball, Business Administration 3.99 GPA
- Kevin Sinic (Sr.) men’s soccer, Communications 3.37 GPA
- Adrian Sutcliffe (Gr.) men’s soccer, MBA, 3.89 GPA
The on-campus coordinator is Dr. Alfredo Castro, associate professor of chemistry and faculty athletics representative to the NCAA. This marks Felician’s 10th year of participation in the program.