You are here

Eligibility & Requirements

Academic Credits

Faculty Led Program Credits

Most Felician University students study abroad on Felician faculty led short-term programs. Participants will automatically know what kind of credit they will receive prior to registering for these valuable educational experiences overseas. The grades earned on these programs are like any other Felician University course and will be calculated into your GPA.

Transfer Credit for Third Party Provider and Exchange Programs

Students participating in study abroad programs through third-party providers or exchange programs must complete the Application for Study Abroad Transfer Credit available from the Study Abroad Office. Failure to complete an Application for Study Abroad Transfer Credit prior to the start of the program will result in no credit for the courses completed abroad.

Upon completion of the program, an official transcript from the program must be sent to the Registrar's Office. Only courses in which a student receives a grade of a C or better will be transferred to the University. Like other forms of “transfer credit,” the credit earned abroad will not be calculated into your GPA.  Credit for major and elective courses may be earned while on a study abroad program. In most cases, core courses cannot be taken abroad for credit.

Major and Minor Credit

If you plan carefully and obtain the necessary course approval prior to studying abroad, it is possible to earn credit toward most majors or minors.

Freshmen (who have successfully completed at least 24 credits), sophomores, juniors and first semester seniors are eligible to study abroad for a semester, academic year or summer program. All students are required to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 at the time of application. Students should be aware, however, that many programs require a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.  Students are also required to be in good standing at the University (have no disciplinary or Honor Code violations).

Seniors please note: First semester seniors are eligible to study abroad provided they meet all eligibility requirements. Second-semester seniors or those planning to graduate in May are not permitted to study abroad on Third-Party provider or exchange programs. Graduating seniors are permitted to study abroad on Felician University faculty-led Spring/Summer study abroad programs.



Students wishing to study abroad are required to meet with their academic advisor and the Director of Study Abroad to discuss their plans prior to enrolling in a program. Students studying in a semester-long program through a third-party provider or exchange program must maintain Felician University's full-time student requirement and must take the equivalent of at least 12 credits per semester.

Graduating on Time

With careful planning and assistance from the Director of Study Abroad and your academic advisor, there is no reason that a semester or summer abroad would delay your graduation.

Health Insurance

Most third-party providers include internationally valid health insurance with riders for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains as part of their program fee. If your provider does not include such coverage, you are required to obtain a policy with at least $100,000 limits for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains. It is also beneficial to get riders for “Security Evacuations” in cases of rare political or natural disasters (approximate limit of $100,000). If you do not know how to obtain such coverage, the Director of the Office of Study Abroad can give you suggestions of companies with a solid reputation. Students on a Felician University Short-Term Study Abroad Program are also required to get such insurance and may be mandated to enroll in a specific policy in order to help facilitate a response to a possible tragedy abroad.